For any comments on this site contact our webmaster @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright - Waterblok Viaseal Systems Corp
WATERBLOK MULTI-PURPOSE RUBBERIZED BITUMEN WATERPROOFING COMPOUND
Guidelines for the Application of Waterblok Multi-Purpose
Exterior Retaining Wall
Mixing of Material
The pail of Waterblok Multi-Purpose must be stirred well until totally smooth and all solids dissolved. It must resemble a smooth chocolate-like paste. Water is already added to the pail in the factory so there is no need to add any water. However, should the compound be too solid a small quantity of water (not exceeding 1 liter) can be added but this is rarely necessary.
Geotextile to be Used
An 105gsm (grams per square meter) non-woven polyester needle punched geotextile must be used where a flashing is installed, a construction join sealed and for all other detail work.
Cracks in concrete surface
Embed 100mm width strips of geotextile extending 50mm longer than the crack on each side over the crack following the methodology outlined below:
- Prime the entire area where the geotextile is to be installed with a 50/50 mix of clean water and Waterblok Multi-Purpose. Application of the primer should extend at least 25mm more vertically and 25mm more horizontally than the geotextile requirements. Allow the primer to dry for 2 hours or longer period until it turns totally black.
- Apply a thick coat of Waterblok Multi-Purpose (extending the same height and horizontal elevation as the primed area) 150mm to 200mm at a time and immediately embed the geotextile (FURRY SIDE DOWN) in the wet Waterblok by pushing down and brushing hard with the hands to ensure that there are no creases. The Waterblok should penetrate the top of the geotextile through this method. Special care should be taken that all geotextile edges are 100% embedded and that there are no loose areas.
- Repeat the above until the entire geotextile is installed.
- here joins need to be made, allow an overlap of 50mm.
- Special care should be taken in corners. The horizontal section of the geotextile may have to be cut and overlapped to ensure smooth embedding.
- Apply a saturation coat of a mix of 60 to 70% Waterblok Multi-Purpose with 40 to 30% clean water over the geotetile area. Ensure that the entire geotextile section is saturated with this application.
- Allow to dry for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours or preferably overnight.
If there are any construction joins a geotextile (0.5m each side of the join – total strip width 1 meter) must be embedded in Waterblok Multi-Purpose over the entire length of the join following the methodology outlined above.
Priming the entire area
Prime the area (ensure that it is 100% clean) with a 50/50 mix of Waterblok Multi-Purpose and clean water. Allow the primer to dry for 2 to 4 hours (longer if needed until it turns totally black)Full Waterproofing Application
Reinforced Concrete Retaining Wall (RC)
Apply 3 thick coats of undiluted Waterblok Multi-Purpose over the entire area (INCLUDING THE FLASHING AREA [EXTENDING 2 INCHES HIGHER] AND DETAIL WORK TO DRAINS, PIPES, ETC.) using brushes (DO NOT USE ROLLERS) allowing drying of 4 hours between coats. ENSURE THAT NO AREAS ARE LEFT UNCOVERED AND THAT THE APPLICATION IS SMOOTH.
Concrete Hollow Block Retaining Wall (CHB)
Apply a thick coat of undiluted pure Waterblok Multi-Purpose extending 50mm more each side than the width of the tissue geotextile and not more than 0.5m of the length at a time and immediately embed the tissue geotextile in the wet Waterblok Multi-Purpose by pushing down hard with the hands and brushing hard with the hands to ensure that there are no creases and ensuring that the Waterblok Multi-Purpose fully penetrates the geotextile (no white spots must be seen). Immediately apply a further but lighter (thinner) application of Waterblok Multi-Purpose. Repeat until tissue geotextile is embedded over the entire area. Allow to dry for 6 hours (overnight will be better).
Apply further 2 thick coats of undiluted Waterblok Multi-Purpose over the entire area and allow to dry for 4 hours between coats
Allow waterproofing to cure for a minimum of 72 hours. ENSURE THAT NO ONE HAS EXCESS TO THE WATERPROOFED AREA AND THAT NO DAMAGE OCCURS. In indoor areas where there is no or little ventilation it is suggested that fans be used to provide ventilation to enhance curing.
Total Application Rate of Waterblok Multi-Purpose
The specified total application rate is 1.75 liters per square meter if applied to RC Wall and 2 liters per square meter if applied to CHB Wall.GEOTEXTILE DRAINAGE SYSTEMAfter completion of the waterproofing application a non-woven needle punched geotextile (110gsm minimum) is affixed to the retaining wall and at the foot of the wall at foundation level wrapped around a perforated drainage pipe. The perforated drainage pipe runs along the base of the retaining wall footing and slopes towards a drainage outlet at the furthest end of the retaining wall. The geotextile will protect the waterproofing against the backfill, act as a drainage conduit conveying ground water to the perforated pipe and will prevent the perforated pipe from becoming clogged as it will keep the soil out whilst allowing the water to freely enter. Ground water will then be conducted in the perforated pipe towards a drainage catchment area.
Backfilling is carried out by first backfilling with sand, then with chipped stone and then with a solid backfill. The sand and chipped stone will further enhance the drainage of ground water. This system will ensure proper and effective drainage of ground water. The use of geotextile in this application holds the following advantages:
- It protects the waterproofing against damage during the backfill;
- It acts as a drainage system being an excellent conduit of water;
- It acts as a soil separator as it will not allow soil particles to pass through it; and
- It acts as a soil stabilizer.